Monday, April 20, 2009

Springtime Planning and worrying

we have been approved for a Home Equity Line of Credit and should be getting the funds tommorrow. This past weekend, we drove to Soldotna to go to the Home Show and to do some pricing at Home Depot and Lowes. We found that the cost of lumber is exactly the same at the two stores but that Home Depot had better deals on most of the other building supplies. Doors however, were more varied and much cheaper at Lowes for some reason.
Today, I took the day off and have been wandering around the property trying to figure out what I can be doing that is OUTSIDE work because it is SO nice out. But, mostly I need to do some more cost breakdowns. So far, it looks....expensive. The subfloor and lumber for the first floor alone will be eatting up most of the loan. However, because it is a HELOC loan, as soon as we pay it off, its available to us again. Our goal, is to have a roof raising on July 4th.
I am thankful for the ash at this moment because it has melted the snow so quickly. It gives us more time to work. However, I think that we are seeing some heaving that we weren't able to see in the past because previously, the snow was covering the house site until May. The earth under the house site has heaved about 6 inches! I was in a bit of a panic when I first saw this, but I now think that we could solve this problem with drainage around the house, and skirting in the house to warm the earth beneath it a bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment